A dentist is considered the sole expert for dental health. He has gone through years of education to equip himself with the right knowledge and skill to address patients’ individual concerns. Whatever dental issue you may have, the dentist is the expert to consult. He is skilled to diagnose, correct and treat various issues — and at times, the dentist may choose to specialize and focus his practice to cater to a specific field. For instance, some dentists will choose to become a kids dentist; this means that he has chosen to focus his practice on the management of patients within a very specific age bracket. Also called a Pediatric Dentist, he is a perfect dentist for your children.
Now, in the general sense, all dentists are equipped to treat children. Your personal dentist can very well address the needs of your child, but there are some benefits to making a decision to visit a kids dentist instead:
- Expertise: As already mentioned, all dentists are equipped to handle various children but when you make a decision to take your child to a kids dentist, you can expect that your child will be attended by a true child expert, who has devoted his career to children and their needs.
- Dental Office: Have you ever been to the dental office of a kids dentist? The clinic is going to look so much different. It is going to be more colourful, since children are more receptive to bright and colourful stuff; and there will be a lot of toys and items that will appeal to children, to make their experience so much more positive. Everything, even the treatment room is going to be different. You can expect to have smaller chairs, or chairs that do not even look like the typical dental chairs. They can appear like beds or they can be shaped like animals or anything that children usually like.
- Warm Environment: In a dental clinic with a kids dentist in the house, you can expect for the entire team to follow suit in terms of handling patients. From the dental secretary, to the dental assistant, to all other members of the team, you can expect their approach to be warmer, fitting perfectly with the needs of the child. They understand the importance of creating a very warm environment which will help alleviate fears and create a more positive experience for a child.
- Equipment: Since the practice is focussed on kids, the clinic will be able to equip with themselves with the right equipment and tools to better address children’s needs. They will have papoose boards that will help keep the child from moving during a treatment. They will also have equipment essential for sedation, especially through intravenous means, when it is necessary.
- Patients: Since you have made a decision to visit a kids dentist, you can expect to find a lot of children in the dental clinic. This provides a positive effect on a child who may have some apprehensions about the treatment. The presence of other children will help keep your child at ease. At the reception room, they can play and it will feel more like they are waiting in a playground, rather than a dental office. It is, therefore, going to be less threatening than it ought to be.
A child is so much different from an adult in so many ways. The dental health of a child requires a different approach because the anatomy and physiology of a child’s oral cavity is so much different from that of an adult. More so, children are very different social beings, in the sense that approaching them is going to require so much more. To properly engage with a child, you have to know how to capture his attention, and you will have to know how the child’s mind works so that you can connect with him and so that he will make a decision to trust you.