How Vaping Can Hurt Your Dental Health
The use of electronic nicotine delivery systems, commonly called vaping or e-cigarettes, is increasing among young people. At Bay Area Kids Dentist, we remind young patients and their parents that it’s a harmful practice that impacts their dental health and overall well-being.
What is vaping?
- Vaping is an alternative to cigarette smoking
- Instead of smoking a cigarette, users inhale vapor through an electronic device that contains nicotine
- The full, long-term effects of vaping are still widely unknown
How is it harmful to your body?
Let’s discuss the various ways vaping risks your physical health.
- Vaping is addictive
- Vaping can lead to poor lung health
- Vaping puts you at risk of cancer
- Vaping can elevate your risk of cardiovascular issues
- Vaping can increase your blood pressure and heart rate
- Vaping impacts your dental hygiene
How can vaping affect your dental health?
- It can lead to death of gum tissues
- It can result in gum recession
- It often leads to tooth sensitivity
- It can result in increased risk of tooth decay, and in some cases, tooth loss
Health authorities have state in no uncertain terms that vaping is not a safe alternative to conventional cigarettes or other tobacco products. It could be, and should be considered, just as dangerous as cigarettes.
If your teenage son or daughter uses e-cigarettes, encourage them to quit. Parents throughout Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, and Morgan Hill bring their kids to Bay Area Kids Dentist for regular dental exams. We offer pediatric dentistry with an emphasis on preventive care. Call to schedule an appointment with us today!